On December 24, 1913, thousands of people came to the U.S. Capitol to celebrate Washington’s first “community Christmas.”President Wilson started the tradition at the Capitol. The centerpiece of the festivities, a 40-foot Norway spruce Christmas tree located on the East Front Plaza of the Capitol, was adorned with red, white and blue electric bulbs.
The celebration also boasted a lighted placard with the inscription, “Peace on earth, good will to men” and nativity scenes, and featured a chorus whose members sang Christmas hymns. During the Christmas Eve celebration, the U.S. Marine Band played the national anthem.
The holiday tradition resumed in December 1914. But it ended the next year due to a lack of funds. There was a struggle in the early years to keep this tradition. In recent years is selected from a US National Forest and is lit in a ceremony held in early December. The House Speaker presides over the lighting of the Capitol Tree.
This beautiful cobalt Christmas ball commemorates the tradition of lighting the Capitol Community Christmas Tree. Mouth blown, this, handcrafted ornament, was hand painted by skilled artisans in Poland. 100 cm. Gift Boxed.